Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Butterick 5559 - Review

B555926022011

Here is my review (copied from Pattern Review)

Pattern Description:
MISSES' DRESS: Close-fitting, above mid-knee, pullover dresses A, B have front and back darts and outside stitched tucks. A: above elbow length sleeves. B: sleeveless.

Pattern Sizing:
14-16-18-20
I cut a 16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did, except that my tucks were mirrored because I didn´t cut my fabric the correct way... lol

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes they were, although I hardly glanced at them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the interesting seaming and the construction.
I didn´t read other reviews here before jumping into the project and that is why my tucks wouldn´t stay down (especially over the very protuding front and back parts of my body). I solved this problem by sewing them down with black thread. First, I tried tacking them invisibly, but that look very sloppy. Next time, I would probably just sew them down from the start.

Fabric Used:
Black cotton double knit with silver rayon topstitching.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None, because I couldn´t figure out how. I need the size 16 in the bust, took it in in the waist about 1.5 inches. The dress turned out too roomy in the shoulders and upper back, so before I sew it again, I will have to put some thought into possible alterations.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and yes. The next fabric is already picked out. This version was a dressy version not really suitable for the office and so next time I will use a purple cotton stretch gabardine with matching topstitching.

Conclusion:
double thumbs up! Makes a great curvy silhouette and I got heaps of compliments when I wore it out last week!

Excuse the blurry photo, I took it with self-timer at 2 a.m. on sunday morning. I really need to enlist my brother as a photographer...

No comments:

Post a Comment