Monday, March 21, 2011

Self-drafted Knit Dress - Review

The following is a project I made before I started my sewing journal so I have no idea, when I finished it...
But I do remember the fabric:

Sweater Knit (95% polyester/ 5% spandex) "Marina" from buttinette.de and it is still available in lots of colors.
It costs €10,95 which isn´t cheap for a poly knit, but I think it is worth it and I am seriously debating buying more of the stuff. I just can´t decide which colors... lol
I hope to get pictures of me in it some time this week including the shrug...
IMG_4524

This is the review as posted on PR:

Pattern Description:
Sleeveless Knit Dress with Drop-Waist and slight cowl neck

Pattern Sizing:
just my size!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
There was no photo, except for the image in my head. It turned out almost like that!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
No instructions!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I would have loved a more pronounced cowl neck but my brain wasn´t up to the task...
The skirt is a half circle (if I recall correctly) cut in one piece. If I make this again, I will probably do a front skirt and back skirt separately.

Fabric Used:
A spongy blue polyester sweater knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The original image in my head had sleeves but I managed to mess up the sleeve cap /armscye bigtime, so I chopped them off and bound the armholes with a strip of fabric, turned that to the inside and topstitched it.
Since I wanted the option of long sleeves (this knit is pretty warm and is more of a fall/winter dress), I cut a rectangle the length of my "wingspan" and a width equaling the circumference of my upper arm and sewed it together for the length of my arm on each side (tapering to the wrists). I turned up a hem at the wrists but left the other seams unfinished. Same goes for the dress (just cut the hem evenly - at least I tried to).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will sew it again, at least once for my mom. She wants this with a calf length skirt.

Conclusion:
Not bad for a completely improvised project. I´ve worn it several times and really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment