Wednesday, March 23, 2011

HotPatterns Uptown Downtown Knit Dress - Review

Here is review copied from PR:
IMG_4518

Pattern Description:
Simple to make and easy to wear, this super-cool Dress is a great modern take on the classic sweatshirt, and works in all sorts of knits...try T-shirting, silk-y jersey, sweatshirting, double or single knits, or ribbed knit fabrics. Use contrast or matching ribbing or self fabric to finish the neckline, hem & sleeves.
Relaxed-fit Dress has a scooped ballet-style neckline and a choice of cap, elbow length or full length raglan sleeves with an overarm seam for a superior fit. Bodice can be worn bloused over the elasticated waist or dropped down onto the upper hip. Skirt finished just below the knee. We’ve included instructions for the optional narrow and Obi-style tie belts, plus the infinity scarf.
Depending on your fabric and sleeve length choices, this is a true year-round style...wear it with knee high boots or opaque tights and a chunky heel when it’s chilly, try it with sheer nylons and a chic heel, or team it with strappy sandals for warm-weather style.

Pattern Sizing:
6-26 I cut a 16 in the bust graded down to a 12 in the waist and up to a 14 in the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes they were, although I hardly glanced at them. Instead of following the instructions for the elastic insertion I winged it and just sewed thin clear elastic (called Lastin') to the skirt top and bodice bottom before joining them. Worked out fine!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The pattern envelope conveyed a certain feeling: comfy, slouchy yet stylish and I loved that the pattern managed to hold what the envelope promised!

Fabric Used:
A sweatshirt fleece in muted blue/grey that I had in my "What was I thinking"-pile...
I wanted to try this pattern without risking one of my favorite knits in case I didn´t like the style on me.
Turns out, the fabric is very cozy because of the fleece inside.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I only had 1m of this, which really isn´t enough but the fabric was extra wide (I think 2m). It still was a tight squeeze and the hem band of the skirt didn´t quite make it to the depth as designed! :-) Also, the neck band is pieced a little weirdly...
Since this is just intended for loungewear or a casual coffee date with my best friend on weekends, I really don´t care about those things!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will most definitely sew it again, probably in a drapier knit, to see how it looks on me then.

Conclusion:
Great pattern!

What I forgot to write on PR was that I can only agree with previous reviewers regarding the hem band. It is too long to pull in the hem as shown on the pattern envelope.

No comments:

Post a Comment